2 cups root beer (don’t use diet)
1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 325° F. Spray the inside of a 10-inch Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter generously and dust with flour, knocking out the excess.
2. In a small saucepan, heat the root beer, cocoa powder and butter over medium heat until butter is melted. Add sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
4. In a small bowl whisk the eggs until just beaten. Then whisk into the cocoa mixture until combined. Gently fold the flour mixture into the cocoa mixture. The batter will be slightly lumpy. You can give it a quick whisk if you like, but don’t over beat the batter or it could cause the cake to be tough. Don’t worry…the batter is very loose.
5. Pour the batter into prepared pan and cook for 35-45 minutes, rotating the pan halway through baking until a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Trnasfer to a wire rack to cool completely and loosen edges with a butter knife and turn out onto a cake plate.
Chocolate Root Beer Frosting Ingredients:
2 ounces 60% cocoa, melted
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup root beer
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using an electric hand mixer, beat softened butter and cocoa powder. Once combined, add the melted chocolate, salt, powdered sugar and root beer. Beat together until smooth.
2. Spread on top of cooled cake. Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream.