1/2 lb raw Italian-style turkey sausage, casings removed
2 tsp olive oil
2 medium yellow peppers, cut into 2-inch long strips
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup red wine
1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
28oz canned crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
8oz uncooked, whole-wheat fusilli pasta (swirls)
1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta until al dente and drain.
2. Cook sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat. Remove to a plate.
3. Heat oil in same skillet. Add yellow peppers and onion. Cook until vegetables are lightly colored and tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Add wine and garlic. Cook until most of liquid evaporates. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper, and browned sausage, bring to a boil.
5. Reduce to medium-low heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and sauce is heated through, about 10 minutes.
6. Add pasta and basil to sauce; toss to mix and coat. Yields about 1 1/3 cups per serving.
Weight Watcher Details:
Points Plus Value – 7
Servings – 6
***I served this dish with a salad (fat free dressing) and the entire family enjoyed the meal. Not a single person complained about our switch to whole wheat pasta. Two thumbs up!