1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 lemon (peel grated, juice squeezed)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (don’t thaw if using frozen!)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
juice from one lemon (above)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan.
2. In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt
3. In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter for a few minutes until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each one. Beat in the grated lemon peel.
4. Add the flour mixture in two or three portions, alternately with the milk, beating just until the batter is smooth. Quickly fold in the blueberries, just until they’re evenly distributed. If you’re using frozen blueberries, the batter will turn blue – don’t panic, it will look fine once it’s baked.
5. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick poked into the middle comes out clean. Leave it in the pan while you prepare the lemon glaze.
6. In a small microwave safe bowl or measuring cup, combine the 1/4 cup of granulated sugar with the lemon juice. Microwave on high power for 30-45 seconds, just until the mixture boils. Remove from microwave and give it a stir.
7. With a toothpick, poke holes all over the top of the blueberry loaf. Using a wide pastry brush, brush the top of the hot loaf with the hot glaze. Let cool for at least 30 minutes in the pan, then remove to a rack and cool completely.